Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Thoughts on “Generate an Argument” Instructional Model

I enjoyed Sampson and Grooms article and agree with the authors that we should encourage students to work together to critically analyze data and draw their own conclusions. I also think this instructional model could also be a time saver if used a few times a year providing students with data set rather than having them collect their own data. It would also give students a look into current scientific research.
I was a little worried with the title of the article “Generate an Argument”. Debates work well when all students are invested. The roadblocks I have encountered in the past when having the student debate (genetically modified foods being an example) is that a handful of passionate students take over and monopolize the discussion. The more timid students (the majority) sit back and don’t participate. I feared that this could also happen in this activity. I was glad to see that the authors encourage a round-robin format in which one member stays with the poster and the others circulate to each of the other groups exchanging ideas and defending their conclusions. I believe this will encourage more participation on the whole.
There was only one problem that my wife (fellow biology teacher) and I discovered which was a lack of usable student data on topics that we cover. Our curriculum is really centered on molecular biology. We both spent quite a bit of time trying to find a data set that we thought the students could understand and manipulate. (If you have found a great site please send a link!). I have adapted a data set I already had, but its more ecology focused and we don’t spend a lot of time on that material.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that data sets are hard to find. I have a lot of ideas, but can't find data sets. I hope to begin to collect some data from labs that we do for future use, but right now I may have to design something based on whatever data I find. I hope that people will post links on the wiki so that we can all see them. I also think that some data--molecular, genomics, are going to be harder for students to understand. There is a lot of background and explanatory ground that would have to be covered. I'm sure it's out there somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used the round-robin approach with 7th, 8th and 9th graders and it has worked really well. Of course some kids need that extra push to stay focused on the topic, but for the most part they are excited to ask about each others' work/thoughts/ideas and to share their own. It did work the best with 7th graders because they are all so into science. I have not done this with anybody older than 9th grade, however.
    As for the online data sites, I think more will be posted from each other as we get towards the weekend. I think most of us are still in the exploration phase...at least I am...still searching to find something really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that, as in any group project, some students are bound to be more aggressive "leaders," and some are going to be more timid. I was thinking about how group size might affect this. Because I'm in a lower grade I think it would be important to have a good sized group with several brains to put together on such a new, data driven assignment. But in a smaller group all students would have a chance to form and voice an argument, even the quieter timid ones. Maybe I am at an advantage in fourth grade. They haven't all reached the stage where they are so self-conscious and easily embarrassed. If anything, my kids will gladly argue with one another!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As for finding usable data it might be better to go about it from the opposite direction. See what data is out there then create an activity from there. Another idea might be to gather the data yourself or have a lab assistant do it. By the way, how do they know they aren't counting the same hare more than once? do they tag them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The good news is that the authors of the Generate an Argument model are coming out with a book through NSTA Press for bio / life science. Unfortunately, I do not know when it will be published...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eric,
    I will keep a look out for it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete