Monday, July 26, 2010

Final Project

So here it is, my "In Plain English" video on Hardy Weinberg and the accompanying student assignment sheet. Enjoy.




Name:_________________________________________ Date:____________

Digital Storytelling: Protein Synthesis

Introduction:
Instead of a normal end of chapter exam for this unit you will be producing a video, audiofile, or voice thread explaining how the information encoded in a gene is turned into a protein. I really enjoy the “In Plain English” video series by Common Craft (search “In Plain English” on YouTube) and think this style would be a great fit for this project. You could also create two or three nice diagrams of the process of transcription and translation and include them in a voice thread. Check out some examples at www.voicethread.com. If you’re into storytelling you could record it as a story using a free program call Audacity, downloadable at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/. Be creative, you can go in any direction you like, provided you run the idea by me first!

My hope is that you can produce a short (no greater than 5 minutes) presentation explaining the processes we have covered in class. You MUST include the following terms in your project:
DNA, Double Helix, Adenine, Thymine, Guanine, Cytosine, RNA Polymerase, Spliceosomes, Ribosome, mRNA, tRNA, Codons, Anticodons, Amino Acids, Stop Codons, Peptide Bonds

Working with one other person or by yourself you will have one week to complete this assignment. You will have in class time to research and prepare, but you will most likely have to record your story outside of class. Digital still cameras and video cameras are available in the library and simplistic video editing software is on both the PC’s and Macs. If you need help using this equipment let the librarian or myself know.

Suggested Schedule:
Day1: Brainstorm. Visit the sites and videos I described above. Discuss with your partner the type of technology you would like to use. Can you think of any limitations your plan might have?
Day2: Start writing a script and, if you need them, developing images you will use
Day3: Continue planning and writing
Days 4-7: Record your story
Day 8: Bring you audio/video file to school or post it on an appropriate website. We will share the projects with refreshments that day!


Grading: You projects will be graded by using the attached KRHS Communication Rubric.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Your video is great! Very fluid and professional--that must have taken some time! I like the assignment you have planned and think it's a great idea to include the list of terms. That will definitely help the students focus and cover what you want, yet it gives them tons of leeway for how to represent the concepts. It will be fun for you to see what they come up with I'm sure. I think that one must really understand the process well and be able to quickly articulate it to be able to do the Plain English format--so it could be a great assessment. Good luck, hope it goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was fantastic!! I'm going to tell myself that it took you a really long time even if it didn't, just because of how many times it has taken me to get my screencast how I want it... :-) But seriously, I think that this video will be a great resource for your students to come back to and that you explain the concept really well. I also like the activity that you made for them to do. It's clear that you have put a lot of thought into this project/assignment. I hope you'll keep up your blog so we can hear how the project goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the above comments. You've created a great resource with your video!

    I also really like your protein synthesis project. I have done something similar in the past where students need to create some sort of "learning tool" (song, poster, claymation, etc....) but it was very broad and upended. I think the new web 2.0 tools we've been exposed to will really kick it up a notch! You do a great job of outlining your expectations and give very clear instructions. I'd love to see the rubric you plan to use. Is it attached somewhere and I missed it? If it's not there, any chance you can post it?
    I can't wait to hear how your students respond to this project. I'm sure they will have fun putting their projects together (protein synthesis, fun!?!?! who would have thought!!)

    ReplyDelete