Sunday, June 27, 2010

Roadblocks

I thought this week I would spend some time learning how to record audio during PowerPoint lectures and saving them to Slideshare. I felt this would be much more valuable than me handing a copy of the notes over to students that are absent. Each day I could hit the “record button” then save and upload the presentation. The only roadblock I perceived was purchasing a microphone that could wirelessly transmit the signal to the computer as I walked around the room.
This idea was really naive. Using Slideshare I would have to upload the document to their server. Upload audio to another server. Then edit the two together before saving. That is just ridiculous. Who has time for that? PowerPoint allows you to record audio at the same time, but your presentation needs to be timed. I can’t have all my presentations timed out prior to giving them.
I did find a program called Camtasia Studio that allows you to do just what I want, and it gets great reviews. The only problem is it comes with a 300 dollar price tag.
The final roadblock was copyright. I have grabbed images from all over the web for my presentations. Three minutes into any of my lectures and I’m sure I have broken countless copyright laws and could be locked away in prison for the rest of my natural life. I’m really not all that worried about using the images in a classroom setting, but wouldn’t dare post them on the Internet. And I’m not about to re-create all new lectures with “safe” images.
I will record a presentation this week and have a link on here to view to fulfill the course requirements, but as far as using it in my classroom the roadblocks regretfully are just too great.

4 comments:

  1. It seems like there must be some app out there that will do what you want to do. There's one for everything, right? So I'll have faith for you and hope you find it. Meanwhile, if I come across anything I'll get in touch. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Follow up: does your school have an internal email server? If you could post your presentations as an attachment, maybe you could get around the copyright worries of putting them on the internet...just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I can totally relate to your copyright transgressions! I, too, have tried to find a similar way to deal with the absent students and easy catch up with ppt....this motivates me to keep looking again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Guys let me know if you find anything

    ReplyDelete