Friday, June 18, 2010

Reflections and Guiding Principles.

I guess its time for some class reflections. First, it is exhausting moving from one blog to the next. All good stuff but it takes too much time. Next week I’m focusing on setting up Google Reader. Second, I really like what BFritz is doing with http://realearthscience.blogspot.com/. I could see myself running a similar classroom blog. Third, I love the TED Presentations. Thanks Eric for passing that on. Killed an hour last night watching a bunch. My sister-in-law mentioned them a while ago, but I never got the chance to watch one. With content like that on the Internet, who needs cable television? Finally I really haven’t warmed up to Twitter yet, but I’m keeping my mind open.
Ripping up over 250 ceramic tiles over the last few days I have more than enough time to start thinking about some guiding principles for using technology in the classroom. Here are some guiding principles that I think I need to have:
1. Positive Attitude: I need to have a positive attitude about any technology
we use in class.
2. Skills: Only use technology when I have a firm grasp of how it works.
3. Safety: Make sure my students use technogy in a safe and appropriate manor.
4. Authentic: I need to use technology when it helps students develop critical
thinking skills or helps them master one of our core competencies. It has to
be tied to the curriculum.

3 comments:

  1. Keeping a positive attitude also inspires your students to do the same so they're more likely to be excited and creative when using technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, TED can be a real time killer! I can stream TED videos to my phone -- I have started listening to them in the car, much better than most of what is on the radio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your comment about keeping a positive attitude about technology...because I can get frustrated when the technology fails during my classes. I find that I learn more each time I use a piece of technology or software and I am fine with punting. I try to get a baseline comfort zone with the technology and then punt from there on out. :) Cynthia

    ReplyDelete